Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Express - Love and Rockets


Express is the second album by Love and Rockets, released in 1986 on Beggar's Banquet label and it is the first recording I personally picked up by this phenomenal British band. I believe it is their strongest work in a library that includes seven studio albums over thirteen years, although I must admit I'm still unfamiliar with their final two releases ( Sweet F.A, and Lift ). The album is ingenious and could best be describes as having a post punk, psychedelic sound with a bit of gothic style thrown in for good measure, a remnant from the old Bahause days. I still listen to it on a regular basis, it is a mainstay in my collection there aint nothing better than blasting this album loud. The big single I guess would haved to be "Yin and Yang" but every track is strong, especially "An American Dream" which is my personal favorite. I don't really think this band gave a shit about commercial success, if they had I suspect this album would have been much bigger than it was... it is an almost perfect record. Like Bauhause before them Love and Rockets cared more about the music and the fans, sales seemed be a second priority... It appeared to me at the time ( once again this is only my opinion ) that everyone I knew had this album (in my social circle anyway) but there was very little fanfare during the release nor any real advertising during the initial run, word of mouth seemed to be the order of the day, the band had their cor set of fans that were quite loyal of which I was one of them and that seemed to be sufficient...if you disagree fell free to say so, sometimes I can be quite full of sh*t.....

Track list is as follows...

1. "It Could Be Sunshine"
2. "Kundalini Express"
3. "All in My Mind"
4. "Life in Laralay"
5. "Yin and Yang (The Flowerpot Man)"
6. "Love Me"
7. "All in My Mind (acoustic)"
8. "An American Dream"

The original CD release also included "Ball Of Confusion"

2 comments:

pschase said...

This will go down in history ( my, our history ) as one of those rare perfect records. This shit rocks in a way that maybe doesn't exist anymore. An American Dream blew my mind when I first heard it at 14..

Good post!

Sandman said...

Couldn't agree more, thanks for the comments pschase. Cheers.