Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Hysteria - The Human League


OK, I'm not gonna lie about this one, not a big fan of the album, I guess they can't all be good, I just closed my eyes, reached into my CD collection and pulled out anything. A shinny little gem floating in a sea of mediocrity, that's how I'd describe "The Lebanon" the lead off single from Hysteria. This politically charged tune boasts a killer bass line, meaningful lyrics plus a fusion of guitar and synthesizers that create an energy like few songs can, add to that a great hook and you get what could be considered an almost perfect song. Unfortunately the rest the tracks don't fare quite as well, the album seems rushed, thrown together almost as if Philip Oakey was in a hurry. It's not that the albums bad, don't wanna give that impression, just a bit mediocre and simple. There's a few other tracks I found interesting, namely "The Sign", "So Hurt" and "Life on Your Own" but in general it's a forgettable disc by an otherwise talented band.
.
Hysteria peeked at number 62 on the Billboard Top 200 album chart.
.
The Tracks are as follows...
.
1. I'm Coming Back
2. I Love You Too Much
3. Rock Me Again and Again and Again and Again and Again (Six Times)
4. Louise
5. The Lebanon
6. Betrayed
7. The Sign
8. So Hurt
9. Life On Your Own
10. Don't You Know I Want You
.
Bonus Tracks on CD Re-master
.
1. Thirteen.
2. The World Tonight
3. The Lebanon ( Extended )
4. Life On Your Own ( Extended )
5. The Sign ( Extended )

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Agreed, I own it, not the best.